Saturday, November 28, 2009

Service Learning Story

I went to my school like usual on the Friday before Thanksgiving and the first thing the teacher asked me to do was to write down my address and leave it on her desk. I did and I was curious why she wanted it. However, when I asked about it, she wouldn't tell me anything. I went about the day helping the kids with reading and their vocabulary work books. All day I kept trying to think of the reason for writing down my address. I'm the kind of person who needs to know everything that's going to happen. I'm not a huge fan of surprises. I left for the day and went home. I forgot about Friday in all of the end of the semester craziness, but I was reminded when a package came to my door on Wednesday. It didn't have a return name on it and the address was not the address from the school so I didn't recognize it. I opened the package and inside were all paper turkeys and horns of plenty. Some of them were origami and others were colored pictures. Also inside was a card with Thanksgiving wishes from my class. I was so touched by it. It hit me that I'm really making a difference with these kids and I love it. Just thought that I would share that story with everybody. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

1 comment: